Former Premier League striker Benni McCarthy has joined Erik ten Hag’s coaching staff at Manchester United ahead of the new campaign.
Ten Hag already has Mitchell van der Gaag and Steve McClaren as his assistant managers with Darren Fletcher and the highly-rated Eric Ramsay being the coaches.
McCarthy has now been added to the club’s ranks ahead of the season opener. The ex-South Africa international joins the club with a glowing reputation in his country.
He managed AmaZulu to their highest-ever finish in the South African Premier Division as they ended up runners-up to Mamelodi Sundowns during the 2020/21 campaign.
McCarthy parted ways with the club in March this year, and has now been appointed by the Red Devils where he will specialise in coaching ‘attacking plays and positioning’.
McCarthy could bring the best out of United’s forwards
McCarthy had a couple of stand-out seasons in his club career. He is most fondly known for the 2003/04 campaign when Porto won the Champions League.
He bagged 25 goals under manager Jose Mourinho and was also spectacular during his debut season at Blackburn Rovers in 2006/07 with 24 goals to his name.
Ten Hag and McCarthy have an unrelated Ajax connection with the latter having played for the Dutch outfit, but he has been signed based on his credentials.
United’s main concern last season was the lack of goals from their wide players with Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho all tending to struggle.
They have fared significantly better in pre-season, but Ten Hag is aware of the need for improvement. McCarthy will be hoping to make an impact with his experience.
Being a traditional striker during his playing days, he should have good knowledge over positioning. Hopefully, he can improve the club’s goalscoring record next term.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd very interested in signing Brighton prodigy Moises Caicedo
- Joel Glazer firmly against the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Manchester United offered the chance to sign Antoine Griezmann
- Man Utd weigh up stunning deal for Casemiro
- Man Utd still considering move for Moussa Dembele
- talkSPORT and Fabrizio Romano claim Manchester United are closing in on £42m deal for Matheus Cunha
- Hakim Ziyech remains a priority for Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag
- Erik ten Hag makes direct request to Manchester United board to sign ‘scintillating’ Ajax attacker Antony
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Man Utd to accelerate Wan-Bissaka’s exit to sign Sergino Dest