Manchester United will have the opportunity to sign Bayern Munich defender Matthijs de Ligt during the summer transfer window, according to Sky Sport Germany.
The 24-year-old is currently weighing up his options at the German champions. It is claimed that he could pursue a new challenge due to his inconsistent role under manager Thomas Tuchel.
Dayot Upamecano and Kim Min-jae are currently Tuchel’s preferred starting centre-backs. The German has added more competition into the squad by signing Eric Dier.
Bayern are lining up a move for Barcelona star Ronald Araujo in the summer and it is reported that De Ligt does not want to stay as the third or fourth choice next term.
Hence, he is prepared to leave the club in the off-season and it is added that Bayern are prepared to allow his departure. United are considered as his next possible destination.
A move to Old Trafford is said to be ‘conceivable’ if manager Erik ten Hag remains at the helm this summer. The Dutchman previously managed De Ligt in his time at Ajax.
De Ligt could make switch to Old Trafford
The Netherlands international played his best football in Amsterdam. He captained a young Ajax side into the semi-final stage of the 2018/19 Champions League under Ten Hag.
De Ligt has since struggled to find the same level of consistency with his performances, but he is still only 24. A reunion with Ten Hag at United could bring the best out of him.
However, a deal is far from straightforward in our opinion. Though it is claimed that Bayern are ready to offload him, a move may depend on them landing a marquee replacement.
De Ligt is presently valued at €65 million by Transfermarkt and Bayern could demand a similar price. On top of this, Ten Hag’s presence at United could be key to the transfer.
If United were to miss out on the top four, the finances could be further limited this summer due to Financial Fair Play which could hamper their decision-making on De Ligt.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow