Bayern Munich could make a surprise approach to sign Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay if they fail to land Fulham’s Joao Palhinha in January, The Sun claim.
The German champions were on the verge of signing Palhinha this summer, but the £56 million deal fell through after the Cottagers failed to find a suitable replacement.
Marco Silva’s side wanted McTominay as Palhinha’s successor in the number six role, but the Scottish star was reluctant to move to Craven Cottage on transfer deadline day.
It is now reported that Bayern could target McTominay in January if they are unsuccessful in convincing Fulham to part ways with Palhinha, who just signed a new contract.
The new deal does not have any release clause, and Fulham could hold out for a much higher fee.
McTominay has been identified as the fallback option for Bayern. Thomas Tuchel appreciates the qualities of the 26-year-old after seeing him in action during his time as Chelsea manager.
Tuchel is said to be determined to land a new defensive midfielder following the club’s 2-2 draw against Bayer Leverkusen where they surrendered their lead on two occasions.
McTominay to Bayern could be on the cards
United are currently facing a midfield injury crisis with Mason Mount, Sofyan Amrabat and Kobbie Mainoo on the sidelines.
However, Mount and Amrabat are expected to return in a short notice while Mainoo could be fit in the New Year.
In our view, this could pave the way for McTominay’s departure in the January transfer window.
McTominay was a surprise starter against Brighton yesterday, but he hardly made an impact from a central role.
The Scot managed only 15 passes in over 80 minutes and won just two ground duels before his late substitution.
It is quite clear that he is more comfortable in the defensive midfield position at club level.
The £45 million-rated star could get the opportunity to play regularly from the role at Bayern under Tuchel.
He is unlikely to displace Casemiro at United. There could be more competition from Amrabat and Mainoo soon.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return