Manchester United have been looking to bring a new centre-back in before the start of the 2018-19 Premier League season.
So far this summer we have missed out on Samuel Umtiti and Clement Lenglet, whilst Tottenham Hotspur are playing hardball over Toby Alderweireld.
Recent reports suggest that we could make a move for German international Jerome Boateng instead this summer, following the 29-year-old’s desire to give the Premier League another shot.
Boateng has spent the past seven seasons with Bayern Munich, winning the Bundesliga on six occasions, as well as the 2013 Champions League. It appears he wants to give himself another challenge before he retires.
The Manchester Evening News understand that the German giants would be willing to listen to offers as low as £43 million for their centre-back.
The price seems very reasonable in today’s market given Boateng’s qualities and experience. Bayern Munich themselves have Nicklas Sule waiting in the wings to partner Mats Hummels at centre-back meaning they are in a position to be able to sell.
Boateng spent a single season at Manchester City in 2010-11, but was used sparingly, and mostly out-of-position at right-back. He has since gone on to make 72 appearances for the German national team and was a starter in their 2014 World Cup winning campaign.
There’s no doubt that Jerome Boateng would be an excellent acquisition for us, and given the prices we’ve been quoted for the likes of Toby Alderweireld, Sergej Milinkovic-Savic and others this summer, perhaps we should bite Bayern Munich’s hand whilst the player is available.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Alejandro Garnacho’s market value skyrockets but Man Utd unlikely to cash in on prodigious forward
- Manchester United midfielder Sofyan Amrabat was hours away from joining Liverpool this summer, set to join Sports Entertainment Group
- Jadon Sancho deactivates Instagram account following exile from Man United facilities
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe restructuring his offer to buy Man Utd
- Phil Jones studying to become a sports director and doing his coaching badges with Manchester United
- Jorge Mendes spoke to Man Utd regarding Joao Felix before Barcelona move
- Alejandro Garnacho has big point to prove vs Crystal Palace tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Man Utd watching Javi Guerra every game, classify him as a top player