Manchester United could miss out on signing Eintracht Frankfurt prodigy Randal Kolo Muani after Bayern Munich intensified talks to land the coveted Frenchman.
As reported by Sport1, the Bavarians have accelerated their pursuit of the 24-year-old after Manchester City trounced them 3-0 in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final tie on Tuesday.
The humiliating defeat at the Etihad Stadium, compounded by a scandalous bust-up between Sadio Mane and Leroy Sane in the dressing room, has forced the Germans to reassess their options.
Bayern’s inability to find a suitable replacement for Robert Lewandowski has probably cost them another European disappointment, making the Allianz Arena hierarchy focus on landing a top-class striker.
It seems Kolo Muani is their prime objective going into the summer transfer window, which could ruin Man Utd’s plans of luring the ex-Nantes forward to Old Trafford.
What Kolo Muani wants?
After tallying 19 goals and 14 assists in 38 appearances for Frankfurt this season, Kolo Muani can have plenty of high-profile landing spots to choose from in the summer.
In addition to Man United and Bayern, Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea have laid their eyes on one of the most sought-after strikers in Europe, alongside Napoli’s Victor Osimhen.
But if the reports are to be trusted, the in-demand youngster is keen on moving to Munich to fulfil a rich tradition of the headline Bundesliga performers joining its record-time champions.
How much will he cost?
Kolo Muani’s contract at Frankfurt runs out in 2027, which puts Die Adler in a perfect bargaining position.
The Deutsche Bank Park chiefs are aware of the gem they have on their hands and could reportedly ask up to €100 million to let their prized asset leave in the summer.
And with a potential transfer tug-of-war waiting in the wings, the price can only move upwards, and given today’s market rates, that’s likely to be the case.
What’s the alternative?
Benfica talisman Goncalo Ramos is another player to have caught the eye of Erik ten Hag.
However, the runaway Primeira Liga leader will likely demand north of €120m to sanction the deal.
While it’s not a price Man United cannot afford to pay, there are cheaper alternatives in the market, including Benjamin Sesko.
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns