Bayern Munich have held talks with Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo and his agent Jorge Mendes over a possible January move, according to The Daily Mail.
Ronaldo recently came up with an explosive interview with Piers Morgan where he said that he was betrayed by the club and has no respect for manager Erik ten Hag.
Amidst this, The Mail claim that Bayern chiefs flew to England last week to hold talks with Ronaldo and Mendes. The Bundesliga giants are exploring a mid-season deal.
Bayern CEO Oliver Kahn previously said that Ronaldo does not fit into the club’s philosophy, but the German champions seem to be re-assessing their stance now.
Concerns over Sadio Mane’s fitness and Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting’s future are reasons behind the club’s renewed interest in signing Ronaldo in January 2023.
Ronaldo to Bayern could be a realistic possibility
Ronaldo’s time at United is coming to an end. It could be a matter of days rather than weeks before United confirm that they are parting ways with the 37-year-old.
Champions League football is one of the main priorities for him and Bayern offer a lucrative option of playing in the competition on top of a good salary package.
The Bundesliga giants have a difficult round of 16 tie against Paris Saint-Germain and this could be another reason behind their renewed pursuit of Ronaldo.
Choupo-Moting has been splendid for them up front this term, but Ronaldo would be an upgrade. He tends to fare best in the Champions League knock-outs.
A summer deal did not make sense for Bayern with the transfer fee and high wages involved.
However, the chance to land Ronaldo on a free transfer in January with a pay-cut should entice them
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd working on deal to sign Yann Sommer
- Glazers decide to drop semi-annual dividends after £225m summer spending spree
- Manchester United’s World Cup Quarter-Finalists – Predictions & Betting Tips
- How the playing surface at Old Trafford is created
- PSG president open to signing Marcus Rashford on a free transfer
- De Gea: Manchester United yet to open talks over a new contract
- Man Utd target Goncalo Ramos now valued at €80m by Benfica
- Man Utd have advantage over Real Madrid in pursuit of Cody Gakpo
- Man Utd duo should be sold in January after woeful displays against Cadiz
- ‘I will think about it’: Cody Gakpo opens the door for Man Utd transfer in January