Bayern Munich have held talks with Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo and his agent Jorge Mendes over a possible January move, according to The Daily Mail.
Ronaldo recently came up with an explosive interview with Piers Morgan where he said that he was betrayed by the club and has no respect for manager Erik ten Hag.
Amidst this, The Mail claim that Bayern chiefs flew to England last week to hold talks with Ronaldo and Mendes. The Bundesliga giants are exploring a mid-season deal.
Bayern CEO Oliver Kahn previously said that Ronaldo does not fit into the club’s philosophy, but the German champions seem to be re-assessing their stance now.
Concerns over Sadio Mane’s fitness and Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting’s future are reasons behind the club’s renewed interest in signing Ronaldo in January 2023.
Ronaldo to Bayern could be a realistic possibility
Ronaldo’s time at United is coming to an end. It could be a matter of days rather than weeks before United confirm that they are parting ways with the 37-year-old.
Champions League football is one of the main priorities for him and Bayern offer a lucrative option of playing in the competition on top of a good salary package.
The Bundesliga giants have a difficult round of 16 tie against Paris Saint-Germain and this could be another reason behind their renewed pursuit of Ronaldo.
Choupo-Moting has been splendid for them up front this term, but Ronaldo would be an upgrade. He tends to fare best in the Champions League knock-outs.
A summer deal did not make sense for Bayern with the transfer fee and high wages involved.
However, the chance to land Ronaldo on a free transfer in January with a pay-cut should entice them
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd really like Juventus star Gleison Bremer, will cost at least €70m
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe finally completes purchase of minority stake in Manchester United
- Man Utd star Casemiro open to Saudi Arabia move, interest remains valid
- Man Utd pressing to sign Gleison Bremer, strongly targeting summer deal
- Chelsea beat Manchester United to the signing of Sam Jewell
- Man United spending power to be limited this summer amid PSR concerns
- Wan-Bissaka out for two to four weeks with fresh injury but Mount close to availability
- Manchester United could rival Liverpool for Crystal Palace centre-back Marc Guehi if Dan Ashworth can be appointed in time
- Manchester United table offer for Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe
- Manchester United won’t pay £20m for Newcastle director Dan Ashworth