Bayern Munich have been informed of the availability of Manchester United defender Raphael Varane ahead of the January transfer window, according to Florian Plettenberg.
The Frenchman has recently lost his starting spot under manager Erik ten Hag. The Dutchman has preferred Harry Maguire over him for the right centre-back position.
This has spread speculation regarding his future and Plettenberg has now revealed that Bayern have discussed internally over a potential deal for the World Cup winner.
He could be prised away from United for €20-30 million but a deal is unrealistic at the moment due to his hefty wages. Varane currently earns €20m per year at United.
The Red Devils are unlikely to entertain a temporary deal for Varane, who joined them from Real Madrid for €40 million during the 2021 summer transfer window.
Man Utd could pursue new centre-back based on Varane’s situation
Varane was an undisputed starter under Ten Hag when fit last season, but his situation has completely changed with Harry Maguire’s good form over the past few weeks.
The manager has preferred the distribution skills of Maguire at right centre-back. He has clearly mentioned that Varane is less suited for the left centre-back role compared to Victor Lindelof.
In Lisandro Martinez’s injury absence, Jonny Evans has also got the nod over the Frenchman. In our view, there is a possibility that Varane could seek a new challenge at the turn of the year.
Bayern should be able to meet the asking price but the wages are a stumbling block for them.
In case they don’t explore a deal, Varane could still have the option of moving to Saudi Arabia. The Frenchman could easily double his wages by opting to join the Saudi Pro League.
Depending on what happens with Varane, United could make their decision on a new centre-back. Nice star Jean-Clair Todibo looks the clear candidate to replace his compatriot at United.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin