Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur could soon be dealt a potential blow as one of their top transfer targets during the summer transfer window is about to make a major decision.
Bayer Leverkusen centre-back Edmond Tapsoba is set to sign a new long-term deal, according to Italian transfer expert and journalist Fabrizio Romano, and the Red Devils and Spurs may need to strike him off their wish list.
Man United were preparing for the potential departure of Harry Maguire early last month after they agreed a £30 million deal with West Ham United to sell him.
Tapsoba was reportedly their top target to replace the England international centre-back, but a move did not materialise as their former captain stayed put.
The Burkina Faso international is under contract at the German top-flight club until 2024 and could have been available for a decent fee.
However, Leverkusen are desperate to extend his deal by five years and are now ready to act having seen interest in one of their best players skyrocket.
Described by the Bundesliga official website as a ‘powerful and super quick defender who boasts frightening heading abilities’, the 24-year-old has what it takes to improve the Man United defence.
The Red Devils could be back in the transfer market for defensive reinforcements in January or next summer, and they would have kept monitoring Tapsonga ahead of a potential swoop.
Signing him once he extends his contract would prove very tricky, and they may need to break the bank to have any chance of tempting his club into doing a deal.
Jonny Evans and Maguire ended the game against Arsenal as the centre-back pairing for the Red Devils yesterday, and two last-gasp goals from the hosts in the 3-1 defeat exposed their lack of quality depth in the position.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd