Barcelona boss Ronald Koeman is reportedly ‘desperate’ to sign Manchester United outcast Donny van de Beek in the January transfer window.
With his first-team opportunities at a premium under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, the former Ajax midfielder is contemplating his future at Old Trafford.
According to Spanish publication Sport, under-pressure Barcelona manager Koeman is ready to offer the 24-year-old an escape route from England this winter.
Van de Beek has found himself at the bottom of the pecking order since completing his £35million switch from the Johan Cruijff Stadium last summer.
The Dutchman has been handed just six minutes of Premier League football this season, even though his midfield teammates Fred and Scott McTominay have struggled for form.
The midfielder’s exit in January is not beyond the realms of possibility, especially following Solskjaer’s decision to leave him on the bench against Villarreal in the Champions League.
Van de Beek was ready to join the fray but remained on the sidelines as Solskjaer introduced Fred instead, leaving the Netherlands international fuming.
Barcelona need a new midfielder, as they strive to add some creativity and energy to their engine room.
Koeman is fighting tooth and nail to keep his job at Camp Nou following a brace of underwhelming defeats in the Champions League and La Liga to Benfica and Atletico Madrid.
After losing their first two matches in the Champions League, Barcelona’s hopes of making it out of the group stage are hanging in the balance.
However, their title prospects in La Liga are still very much alive, as they trail top-placed Real Madrid by five points and have a game in hand on Carlo Ancelotti’s side.
If he retains his place at the helm, Koeman could launch an attempt to sign van de Beek in the upcoming transfer window to add to his Dutch colony at Camp Nou.
He brought in Memphis Depay and Luuk de Jong this summer, while van de Beek’s ex-Ajax teammate Frenkie de Jong moved to Spain in 2019.
- Manchester United needs to accelerate their transfer plans or forget top-four
- Marko Arnautovic’s agent speaks out on potential Manchester United switch
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow with Fabian Ruiz set to join PSG
- Man Utd make opening bid for Marko Arnautovic
- Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion: Three talking points as Erik ten Hag suffers defeat in Premier League debut
- Player Ratings: Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion
- Harry Maguire insists that players will fight for the badge
- Erik ten Hag identifies Fabian Ruiz as the perfect Frenkie de Jong alternative for Manchester United
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Brighton – Three debutants, Ronaldo starts
- Opinion: Manchester United should forget Frenkie de Jong and sign these two unbelievable players for price of one