Barcelona are looking at the prospect of signing Manchester United right-back Diogo Dalot in January, Spanish publication Sport (today’s edition, page 2 & 3) claim.
The Portuguese has been an undisputed starter for the Red Devils under manager Erik Ten Hag this season and he has failed to start in just one game due to suspension.
Despite this, there has been speculation over his future and Sport cite that Barcelona have an eye on the 23-year-old, who has yet to renew his contract expiring next summer.
Blaugrana boss Xavi Hernandez is said to be prioritising a right-back for the January transfer window.
Barcelona have no chance of signing Dalot in January
Sport have constantly linked Dalot with a move to Camp Nou this season, but the outlet are not aware that United have the option to keep the Portuguese for another year.
If the club can’t negotiate a fresh deal before January 1, it is most likely that they will trigger the extension clause such that they have more time on their hands for a renewal.
Back in September, Goal described Dalot as an ‘undroppable‘ player and this is now a reality at Old Trafford with Ten Hag having hardly looked at Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
United’s director of football John Murtough decided to block Wan-Bissaka’s exit last summer rather than pursuing a quality replacement, but he has played just four minutes.
If a right-back were to leave in January, it will obviously be Wan-Bissaka. United have no reason to consider offers for Dalot. The player himself should be happy to stay.
After four difficult years at United, Dalot has finally made the right-back position his own and he could be set for a bumper raise on his current £25,000-a-week salary soon.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Capology.com
- Sir Dave Brailsford and Jean-Claude Blanc meet Manchester United executives at Old Trafford as Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s 25% acquisition edges closer
- Man Utd showing interest in Borussia Dortmund winger Donyell Malen
- Man Utd confirm Amad Diallo has returned to full training ahead of Bournemouth game
- United boss Erik ten Hag shuts the door on January reinforcement
- Ian Wright wants Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag gone once Sir Jim Ratcliffe arrives
- Roy Keane wants Manchester United to ditch Antony, Raphael Varane, Harry Maguire and more
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans after 2-1 win against Chelsea
- Erik ten Hag has another undroppable star in Scott McTominay after Chelsea win
- Sofyan Amrabat produces his best Man Utd display vs Chelsea
- Juventus cool interest in exiled Man Utd star Jadon Sancho due to financial concerns