Barcelona have already taken initial steps to convince Manchester United defender Diogo Dalot over a future transfer, Spanish publication Sport claim.
Dalot has established himself as the undisputed right-back under manager Erik ten Hag and he has already put in several stand-out displays in the Premier League.
His current deal with the club expires in June 2023, but United have the option to keep him for another year. They will obviously trigger the clause before the New Year.
Amidst this, Sport report that Barcelona have already taken the first steps to sign the Portugal international by conveying their interest to his closest friends.
Barcelona scouts believe he is a player with ‘a total Barca profile’. Manager Xavi also shares the same opinion and feels the 23-year-old is an ideal fit for his style of play.
United should prioritise a new contract for Dalot
Manager Erik ten Hag has reportedly stalled contract decisions until the World Cup as he wants to assess his current players to determine who deserves a possible extension.
Dalot is obviously one of those that will pass the test. United will certainly trigger his 12-month option before January to ensure that he can’t negotiate terms with a foreign club.
The next part of the process will be to discuss a new long-term deal. The hierarchy should be quick with the same as delaying talks until next summer would put them under risk.
Barcelona are in a similar transition phase as United, but remain a big source of attraction for most elite players. United would not want Dalot’s head turned by the transfer interest.
The board should be pro-active in finalising new deals with the likes of Dalot as well as Marcus Rashford, who have firmly established themselves as undisputed starters under Ten hag.
Goal recently described Dalot as an ‘undroppable‘ star after his transformation this term.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd have received 10 loan proposals for Anthony Elanga ahead of transfer deadline
- Victor Lindelof emerges as Inter Milan transfer target to replace outgoing star
- Crystal Palace will wait until summer to sign Man Utd defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Man United boss insists there is still room for improvement from Antony after Reading display
- Erik ten Hag confirms ankle injury blow for Christian Eriksen after Reading win
- Casemiro excellent for Man Utd in 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading
- Harry Maguire sends a tough message to Erik ten Hag over the lack of game-time
- Manchester United 3-1 Reading: Three talking points as Casemiro electrifies Old Trafford crowd
- Man Utd tried to sign Milan Skriniar, he is holding out for PSG transfer
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities