Barcelona have expressed an interest in signing Marcus Rashford amid the recent uncertainty over his Manchester United future, Manchester Evening News claims.
The England international has been a key player for the Red Devils since his surprise debut in 2016, but his importance has waned over the past few months amid his poor form.
While Rashford is not considering a summer exit, the Blaugrana are said to have already enquired over the possibility of landing his services during the next transfer window.
Liverpool are also keeping tabs on his situation, though United are unlikely to negotiate any transfer with their fierce rivals. No Red Devils player has crossed the divide since 1964.
Rashford has been brilliant for United over the past six years, bagging 93 goals and 58 assists from 297 appearances in all competitions.
He had his best-ever campaign last season, but has not been able to replicate the showing this term following a shoulder surgery.
The operation was meant to bring the best out of him, but it has not been the case with just five goals and two assists from 26 games.
This has led to questions over his United future, but the club are clear with the stance that Rashford won’t be sold in the near future.
With the Blaugrana interest, it is highly likely that the United hierarchy will press ahead with talks over a new long-term contract.
Rashford’s current deal expires in June 2023, but there is a 12-month option. The speculation could pave the way for a renewal.
The £76.5 million-rated star has undoubtedly had a tough season, but that is unlikely to diminish his achievements in recent years.
He has been one of the club’s best performers for a number of seasons. At 24, he has time on his hands to turn his fortunes around.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Sir Dave Brailsford and Jean-Claude Blanc meet Manchester United executives at Old Trafford as Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s 25% acquisition edges closer
- Man Utd showing interest in Borussia Dortmund winger Donyell Malen
- Man Utd confirm Amad Diallo has returned to full training ahead of Bournemouth game
- United boss Erik ten Hag shuts the door on January reinforcement
- Ian Wright wants Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag gone once Sir Jim Ratcliffe arrives
- Roy Keane wants Manchester United to ditch Antony, Raphael Varane, Harry Maguire and more
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans after 2-1 win against Chelsea
- Erik ten Hag has another undroppable star in Scott McTominay after Chelsea win
- Sofyan Amrabat produces his best Man Utd display vs Chelsea
- Juventus cool interest in exiled Man Utd star Jadon Sancho due to financial concerns