Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele is tempted by the prospect of joining Manchester United this month, Mundo Deportivo (today’s edition, page 12 claims).
The Frenchman has entered the final six months of his contract with the Blaugrana, and he has no plans of penning an extension.
Blaugrana president Mateu Alemany recently went public saying that he would be sold, but the Frenchman has since hit back.
Dembele said that negotiations are ongoing with his agent over his future, and he won’t give in to blackmail from the Catalan giants.
It appears only a matter of time before he leaves. Mundo Deportivo claims that United are one of the clubs he would be tempted to join.
The Red Devils have been closely following his situation over the past few years, and they would reportedly ‘aspire to hire him’.
United are long-term admirers of the 24-year-old. They previously failed with a loan approach to sign him during the 2020 summer transfer window.
The Blaugrana were willing to loan out Dembele following a one-year renewal, but the attacker’s refusal to extend pulled the plug on the deal.
United have since bolstered their attack with Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund, but the Englishman has yet to make a significant impact.
Sancho will have a bright future ahead. United could still bring Dembele to their ranks if they can reach a suitable agreement with the Blaugrana.
A swap deal involving Anthony Martial has been talked about recently, but United may want some cash alongside Dembele for that to happen.
United could face direct competition from Chelsea for his services. Thomas Tuchel previously worked with the Frenchman at Borussia Dortmund.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final