Manchester United return to Champions League action this evening as we take on Sevilla at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan stadium in Spain in the first leg of our second round tie.
The Spanish side were 2-1 winners at Las Palmas on Saturday and are currently fifth in La Liga – six points outside of the Champions League places.
We will be looking for a positive result to bring back to Old Trafford in three weeks’ time with all five English teams unbeaten in the knockout stages of European competition over the past week or so.
Here’s the team I think Jose Mourinho will select for the first leg:
Goalkeeper: David de Gea
The Spaniard is certain to be recalled after Sergio Romero got his chance in the FA Cup win at Huddersfield Town on Saturday.
Defence: Antonio Valencia, Eric Bailly, Chris Smalling, Ashley Young
Jose made some changes in defence over the weekend to keep us fresh for this evening’s important tie. Although Ashley Young started that game at right-back I believe the 32-year-old will be moved back to the left-hand side of our defence to face Sevilla, with Luke Shaw dropping to the bench. Captain Antonio Valencia is set to return at right-back and we could see Eric Bailly make his first start in months after he came on in stoppage time on Saturday. With Phil Jones set to miss this game, Chris Smalling should partner the Ivorian in the centre of our defence.
Midfield: Ander Herrera, Nemanja Matic, Paul Pogba
Paul Pogba is expected to go back into the starting XI and I think he’ll play a little further forward of a middle three, giving him more freedom to venture forward. The protection of the defence will mostly be handled by Nemanja Matic and Ander Herrera with Michael Carrick and Scott McTominay dropping out from the weekend’s starting lineup. Marouane Fellaini is still out following his knee surgery.
Attack: Anthony Martial, Romelu Lukaku, Alexis Sanchez
Romelu Lukaku scored an excellent brace over the weekend and will continue to lead the line on Wednesday as part of a front three. Alexis Sanchez is a guaranteed starter too when fit and the Chilean is likely to line up on the left wing. I think we’ll see Anthony Martial down the right once again with Juan Mata dropping to the bench. Jesse Lingard and Marcus Rashford are alternative options to the boss.
Here is our team on paper:
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m
- Manchester United consider loaning out Mason Greenwood next season