Manchester United forward Alejandro Garnacho could be sidelined for a while following his ankle injury against Southampton, TyC journalist Gaston Edul reports.
The 18-year-old was the subject of a strong challenge in the box from Kyle Walker-Peters on Sunday and he was visibly in pain for several minutes after the incident.
The youngster managed to carry on after receiving treatment but manager Erik ten Hag decided to take him off as he did not want an unfit player for the final minutes with 10 men.
Speaking after the game, Ten Hag said that Argentine’s situation ‘is not too bad‘ but Edul now claims that the injury is ‘worse than expected’ after initial examination.
The journalist did not provide a timescale for the recovery but admitted that Garnacho could miss out on making his Argentina debut in the upcoming friendlies.
He tweeted: “Bad news: Alejandro Garnacho underwent studies and the injury is worse than expected. The double date with the Argentine National Team would be lost.”
Garnacho’s absence is a concern for Man Utd
The youngster has had a tremendous breakthrough campaign with United. He has nine goal contributions with many of those being in match-winning situations.
He looked lively in his cameo appearance against the Saints at the weekend but unfortunately could not carry on after a scissor challenge from Walker-Peters.
A separate report from Diario Ole claims that he has suffered a sprain of the fibula-astragalar ligament in his right ankle. He could possibly return in two weeks.
In our view, United will probably ask Garnacho to be withdrawn for Argentina’s international friendlies such that he is fit to face Newcastle United next month.
The Red Devils host Fulham in the FA Cup quarter-final this weekend. Their next league game will be at St James’ Park on April 2 which could be a tricky challenge.
United have already suffered a setback for the Tyneside trip with Casemiro suspended. The Brazilian is out for four domestic matches after his red card on Sunday.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books