Manchester United defender Axel Tuanzebe will undergo his medical with Napoli on Friday ahead of his temporary move, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano claims.
The 24-year-old spent the first half of the campaign with Aston Villa on loan, but he struggled for regular playing time with just 11 appearances across all competitions.
Napoli made a loan approach for the Red Devils graduate recently. They have now agreed to sign Tuanzebe after Villa agreed to cut short his stay.
The versatile defender will join the Serie A club until the end of the season for €600,000.
United could receive another €600k based on where Napoli finish in the Serie A standings.
The paperwork has already been signed between the clubs. Romano has confirmed that Tuanzebe is expected to undergo his medical with the Naples outfit on Friday.
Tuanzebe was allowed to leave on loan during last summer’s transfer window, shortly after United agreed to sign long-term target Raphael Varane from Real Madrid.
It seemed the right decision, considering Varane, Harry Maguire, Victor Lindelof and Eric Bailly were ahead of him in the pecking order for the central defensive positions.
Phil Jones recently made his comeback after nearly two years with a superb performance against Wolves which was praised by Ralf Rangnick. It could be the second coming of the England international.
It was always unlikely that Tuanzebe would be reintegrated into the first-team plans this month.
He faces a similar situation for the right-back spot with Diogo Dalot and Aaron Wan-Bissaka favoured ahead of him.
Tuanzebe now has the chance to make a big impression in Serie A. Former United star Chris Smalling excelled during his loan stint at Roma before joining them permanently.
The Red Devils graduate will be eyeing regular minutes under his belt with Napoli.
A strong loan spell could encourage the club to make a permanent move for his services in the summer.
United are still unlikely to let him go on the cheap. His current contract expires in under 18 months.
However, they have the option to extend his deal until the summer of 2024.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Man Utd starters vs West Ham United
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele tempted by Man Utd move
- Will Jesse Lingard move to Newcastle or Tottenham this transfer window?
- Man Utd cool down interest in Denis Zakaria
- Man Utd may not approve Ralf Rangnick’s wish to sign Amadou Haidara
- Juventus in direct contact with Man Utd over Anthony Martial loan deal
- Man Utd receive Martial-Dembele swap proposal from Barcelona
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Brentford
- Ralf Rangnick provides injury update on three Man Utd stars