Manchester United castaway Mason Greenwood has emerged as a potential summer target for Spanish giants Atletico Madrid, Telegraph reports.
The 22-year-old is spending the 2023/24 campaign on a season-long loan at Getafe and has got his career back on track following a series of exceptional performances in La Liga.
Greenwood spent nearly two years away from football and was under a six-month investigation following sexual assault allegations.
The charges, including attempted rape, were dropped, but United agreed for the England international to resume his career away from Old Trafford last summer.
Greenwood joined Getafe on transfer deadline day at the start of the season and has made a transformative impact at the Spanish club during his short stint at Coliseum Alfonso Perez.
The Englishman has bagged seven goals and four assists in 22 appearances across all competitions. But despite his impact, his long-term future at Old Trafford is not guaranteed.
Greenwood will return to the Theatre of Dreams at the end of the season with one year remaining on his contract with United.
The Premier League giants are yet to slap a price tag on their academy graduate. But if his impressive performances continue, his value will undoubtedly rise in the summer.
Greenwood has been linked with a move to Barcelona. The Catalan giants have already scouted the forward six times this season, but their financial situation is likely to hamper any potential deal.
Getafe would like to keep Greenwood for the foreseeable future, but Atletico have also thrown their hat into the ring as they look to bolster their attacking options.
United would be willing to cash in on Greenwood in the summer, and any proceeds pocketed from his potential departure will be considered pure profit.
La Liga duo Valencia and Real Sociedad are also among several clubs keen to secure Greenwood’s services at the end of the season.
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts