Atalanta are likely to demand €90 million for Rasmus Hojlund as Manchester United prepare an approach for the striker, according to TuttoMercatoWeb.
The Dane has been identified as the priority striker target for manager Erik ten Hag, and Alfredo Pedulla recently reported that he could be signed for €60m plus €8-10m in add-ons.
However, TuttoMercatoWeb claim that won’t be sufficient to convince Atalanta. The Serie A outfit are expected to reject United’s upcoming proposal of around €70m for the striker.
The Bergamo club now want €90m for the 20-year-old. This is seen as their ‘real request’ for Hojlund, who has already agreed personal terms with United.
United unlikely to pay over the odds for Hojlund
The Red Devils have already spent €113m on Mason Mount and Andre Onana this summer, and they are now expected to focus on signing a marquee striker.
After the increase of the pre-sales budget (€196m) by the Glazers, United have the funds to purchase a centre-forward, but are unlikely to pay over the odds.
Hojlund is one of the most sought-after young strikers in world football, but he has plenty to prove, having played just one season in Europe’s top-five leagues.
The Dane only managed 10 goals and four assists for Atalanta last season, but manager Erik ten Hag clearly believes he is the ‘perfect’ profile for United’s attack.
Ten Hag sees him as a ’20 goals per season’ striker, but the big question is how much United could be willing to pay to prise him away from Bergamo this summer.
€70m already seems excessive for an emerging player. United may not be willing to go much beyond that figure to sign the highly-rated forward from Atalanta.
The Red Devils are also holding parallel discussions with Randal Kolo Muani, who made a stunning 40 goal involvements for Eintracht Frankfurt last season.
For the price tag quoted by Atalanta, United could be better off signing Muani, who is in the prime of his career, and could make an immediate impression.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action