Mesut Ozil is ready to leave Arsenal on a free transfer when his contract expires next summer to reunite with Jose Mourinho at Manchester United, according to reports in Germany.
The 2014 World Cup winner is in the final 12 months of his contract with the Gunners and his long-term future at the Emirates remains uncertain after months of unsuccessful contraction negotiations between the club and player.
Arsenal are already expected to lose star player Alexis Sanchez on a free transfer at the end of the season after the Chilean has rejected all new contract offers in 2017. The club surprisingly rejected bids from Manchester City over the summer.
Now the North London club could be set to lose playmaker Mesut Ozil next summer too as German newspaper Bild (via the Sun) claim that Ozil has made a decision to quit Arsenal next summer when his contract expires.
The 28-year-old has been offered a new lucrative £8.1 million-per-season deal but has not put pen to paper on it.
According to the Bild, Ozil wants to join up with Jose Mourinho at Manchester United next summer for whom he played under at Real Madrid for three years.
There is no concrete evidence that suggests United are interested in bringing Mesut Ozil to Old Trafford but Mourinho would surely not think twice about signing the playmaker if given the opportunity to do so for free.
Should Ozil not sign a new contract between now and the New Year he will be free to discuss contract opportunities as early as January for a free transfer move to go ahead during the 2018 World Cup.
However, should the German move to Old Trafford he would be far from certain of being a regular in the side given the form of Henrikh Mkhitaryan to start the 2017-18 campaign. The Armenian has five assists in the first four Premier League games this season in the number 10 role. Juan Mata and Paul Pogba are backup options in his position.
We shall have to wait and see how things develop over the coming months but if this report is accurate United have another opportunity to hand a hammer blow to Arsenal after previously signing Robin van Persie from our Premier League rivals back in 2012.
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m