Antonie Griezmann opens up on Atletico Madrid future amid Man United interest
French striker Antoine Griezmann has pledged his allegiance to Atletico Madrid and Diego Simeone amid speculation surrounding a potential move to Manchester United next summer.
Griezmann’s decision to part ways with his agent, electing instead to represent himself, served as a possible sign of the 25-year-old’s desire to seek a move away from the Vicente Calderon.
It was also reported by French paper L’Equipe that it was “only a matter of time” before Griezmann comes to Old Trafford.
However the Frenchman, speaking to Spanish radio station Onda Cero, made it clear he is happy at Atletico, as long as Simeone remains at the club.
“I am very good at Atleti, with my team-mates, I see that we can achieve important things,” Griezmann said.
“With Simeone I am learning so much. Right now, I do not think about anything other than Atleti. The aim is to continue with Atleti and to see the new stadium.
“I was afraid of Simeone leaving this summer – I need to continue learning from him. I called him and he reassured me. I need to work with Simeone, I need to learn from him and Atleti needs it too.”
Griezmann’s future in Spain appears to hinge on how long Simeone – manager since 2011 – stays at the Vicente Calderon. Atletico’s sturdy, almost tribal approach to scalping results stems from the Argentine’s warrior-like persona, and one imagines that his departure will signal a quick decline in potency.
And despite Simeone’s reassuring words to fans and players concerned about his potential departure, speculation surrounding his future continues to loom, meaning that Griezmann – a tricky, effervescent presence at No.9 – could find himself wearing a United short at some point in the near future.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin