The representative of Manchester United forward Anthony Martial has clarified that the Frenchman has been on the sidelines in recent weeks with a hip problem.
The 28-year-old has not played for the Red Devils since early December. Manager Erik ten Hag initially said that he was out with illness before mentioning that he needs to become fit.
Speaking to Sky Sports, agent Philippe Lamboley has now disclosed that Martial has not been excluded from the first-team squad and he has no problem with Ten Hag.
He added that the striker has been nursing a hip concern for the past few weeks and will undergo a small operation to rectify the issue. He admitted that it should have been done earlier.
He said: “What is said about him is completely false. He was not excluded from the group and he has no problem with the coach [Erik ten Hag].”
“Anthony has been in Manchester for nine seasons and if he was not a great professional then he would not have been at the club for so long.
“He is simply going to undergo a small operation on his adductors, which he should have done for a while and which did not allow him to be 100 per cent, so he will do it now.”
Lamboley went on further to confirm that Martial will stay for the remainder of his contract expiring in June and won’t be heading for the exit door during the winter transfer window.
The £36 million signing has not featured for the Red Devils since early December. It comes as a surprise that he has not undergone a surgery until now. The delay has not done him any favours.
His contract expires on June 30 and United have decided against triggering a 12-month extension clause. If he takes long to recover from his surgery, he may have played his final game for United.
The Frenchman’s career path has gone in the same way as Paul Pogba. Pogba had an injury-plagued final season and missed the second half of the campaign before leaving on a free transfer.
Hopefully, that won’t be the case with Martial. Some fans will be hoping that he can play a part in the season run-in as the Red Devils look to qualify for European football.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow