Anthony Martial’s representative Philippe Lamboley has confirmed that the forward wants to leave Manchester United during the upcoming transfer window.
The Frenchman has endured a tough first half to the season where has been restricted to just 359 minutes of playing time across all competitions.
The 26-year-old is currently nursing a knee injury, but it appears that he is keen on moving away from the Red Devils at the turn of the year.
Speaking exclusively to Sky Sports, Lamboley confirmed his client’s desire, and revealed he will discuss the situation with United.
He said: “Anthony wishes to leave the club in January. He just needs to play. He doesn’t want to stay in January and I will speak to the club soon.”
Martial was in-and-out of the starting line-up at the beginning of the year before suffering a season-ending knee injury. Edinson Cavani was hugely impressive in his absence.
In the current campaign, he has hardly played for the Red Devils since September.
This has coincided with the return of Cristiano Ronaldo, who has been almost ever-present.
Aside from Ronaldo, the Frenchman now faces fierce competition from Mason Greenwood, Marcus Rashford and Cavani for playing time in the centre-forward position.
Meanwhile, he faces a similar situation in the wide attacking roles with Jadon Sancho, Jesse Lingard and Amad Diallo also vying for a starting spot under Ralf Rangnick.
Rangnick expects regular high pressing from his attacking players and Martial may not be an ideal fit.
He has been criticised by some fans in the past for his languid playing style off the ball.
It is no surprise that the Frenchman wants to leave the club at the start of 2022.
He recently lost his place with the national team due to his lack of regular game time.
He needs to be playing regularly to push for a World Cup berth next winter.
The £31.5 million-rated star has over two years left on his contract, and it won’t be a surprise if United refuse to lose him in January.
Lingard has been linked with a possible exit next month with his contract expiring next summer.
United may not entertain the prospect of losing two forward players in the same transfer window.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
Read: Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-2-2-2) vs Norwich City, Mason Greenwood starts.
- Kim Min-jae set for Napoli farewell, Man Utd will trigger his release clause
- Erik ten Hag says Antony is ‘unlikely’ to be available for FA Cup final vs Man City
- Man Utd in front row to sign Rasmus Hojlund, contacts have intensified with Atalanta
- Man Utd ‘at the head’ of the race to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd could offer Harry Maguire in player-plus-cash deal to sign Mason Mount
- Man Utd could offer Scott McTominay as a makeweight to sign Declan Rice
- Man Utd could make surprise move for Empoli goalkeeper Guglielmo Vicario
- Kim Min-jae has his window wide open on Man Utd, will cost €58m
- Manuel Ugarte excited by Manchester United interest amid Chelsea and PSG links
- Victor Osimhen’s agent has received calls from Man Utd but Napoli firm on price tag