Manchester United forward Anthony Martial has decided to stay at the club until the end of the season before pursuing a new challenge, according to RMC Sport.
The 28-year-old has had a difficult season with the Red Devils. He has largely played off the bench and has been on the sidelines over the past few weeks through illness.
Manager Erik ten Hag recently said that he needs to recover and become fit, but RMC Sport claim that the Dutchman is not counting on the attacker going forward.
Martial’s contract expires at the end of June this year and he looks set to leave on a free transfer. The former Monaco ace is open to a potential return to Ligue 1.
Anthony Martial has his sights on free transfer
United were fancied to part ways with Martial last month, but the speculation has faded in recent weeks with the Frenchman being unavailable due to some illness.
Ten Hag has not specified the exact reason behind his absence but in our opinion, the forward could be playacting in order to secure a free transfer in the summer.
In that case, the Red Devils would lose Martial for nothing, having decided against triggering a 12-month extension clause on his £250,000-a-week contract.
However, Martial could benefit from the same. He will have to accept a big pay-cut, but that could be partly compensated by a significant signing-on fee.
Martial had a bright start to his United career after his £36 million move from Monaco, but his career has been on a downslide with injuries and inconsistency.
The club have made the right decision to decline the option to extend his stay for another season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Capology.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow