Anthony Martial has turned down interest from Marseille, Fenerbahce and the Saudi Pro League to stay at Manchester United this month, according to Sky Sports.
The Frenchman has had a difficult season with the Red Devils and he has managed just over 600 minutes in all competitions after the arrival of Rasmus Hojlund.
His current deal expires at the end of the June and United have decided against triggering an extension clause in his contract to keep him for another 12 months.
Talks have been held with the player and agent, but Sky Sports claim that the £36 million signing looks on course to leave on a free transfer after snubbing a mid-season exit.
Martial looks set to part ways on a free transfer
The 28-year-old had a mixed bag of performances for United last term. He contributed nine goals and four assists but also missed 29 games for the club with injuries.
Martial has failed to replicate the same form this term with only two goals and two assists from 19 outings. He has been on the sidelines for the last few weeks through illness.
United are reportedly looking for a new striker in the transfer market, but they may delay their pursuit until the summer, considering their Financial Fair Play issues.
Hence, Martial could have a role to play for the rest of the season, though he could be restricted to minutes off the bench with Hojlund being an undisputed starter.
We are not surprised that United are reluctant to trigger the clause. He is one of the highest earners at the club at £250,000-a-week but has not lived up to the expectations.
The hierarchy are probably discussing a huge pay-cut for a new deal, but Martial may have other plans.
The Frenchman stands to receive a huge signing-on fee if he joins another club on a free transfer. He would also have the assurance of regular playing time when fit.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Capology.com
- Gleison Bremer shows why Man Utd want to sign him this summer
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow