Anthony Martial is firmly establishing himself under new manager Erik ten Hag with his impressive run of form for Manchester United in pre-season.
The France international endured a difficult 2021/22 campaign where he was largely out-of-favour for a starting spot at United and Sevilla (on loan).
This led to questions whether he could be offloaded this summer, but the 26-year-old has managed to turn his fortunes around during pre-season.
In the prolonged absence of Cristiano Ronaldo due to personal reasons, he has been tasked to lead the line which has brought the best out of him.
Martial has now netted in each of the three friendlies this summer, and was at his very best against Crystal Palace at the Melbourne Cricket Ground today.
The Frenchman opened the scoring with a terrific chest control from a superb Diogo Dalot pass before calmly slotting past the goalkeeper.
Right after the break, he played a key role in a terrific team goal scored by Marcus Rashford, providing what is nowadays known as a ‘pre-assist’.
Before the hour mark, Martial turned provider with a terrifically timed left-footed pass which put Jadon Sancho clear on goal to score United’s third.
Here are his stats from the game
United have been impressive in their build-up play as the pre-season tour has progressed. Martial has also looked more confident in front of goal after a difficult year by his high standards.
He is quickly becoming one of Ten Hag’s undroppables. Sancho also looks to have made the right wing position his own. Rashford seems to be finding his feet as well after a poor 2021/22 season.
The England international provided the key pass for Martial in the lead-up to Sancho’s goal. Judging by how the trio are shining together, Cristiano Ronaldo should be concerned over his spot.
The Portuguese star has been looking for a way out of the club, but there are no offers thus far. It seems likely that the 37-year-old may have to stay. He will have to earn his place back in the starting XI.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season
- Tottenham Hotspur will resist Harry Kane sale to Man Utd this summer
- Three midfielders Manchester United could sign from the relegated Premier League clubs this summer