Manchester United forward Anthony Martial has revealed that star midfielder Bruno Fernandes promised him ‘a lot of assists’ in the second half of the season.
After Cristiano Ronaldo’s bitter exit from Old Trafford, Martial will see more minutes on the pitch if he remains fit.
Speaking to ManUtd.com, he opened up on his link-up play with Fernandes.
He said: “Well, that [assists] is something we always talk about. As he left to take part in the World Cup, I was telling him to make sure that he comes home in good shape. And he would say, of course, lots of assists are coming your way.
“It’s very important to have good connections on the pitch. You always want to know where your team-mate is and where he’s going to run into space.
“For example, he [Bruno] knows very well that I might go to take the ball at someone’s feet, and he will run deep. It’s that kind of little connection that helps you get to know the playing style of your partner.”
Fit Anthony Martial a key to Man United’s success
The 27-year-old has struggled for fitness this season, with three separate injury issues curtailing his game-time.
He has played just 364 minutes of football this campaign but has netted four goals and two assists.
His direct involvement in a goal every 60 minutes shows that he has been in impressive form when fit.
Martial’s career at United has been full of ups and downs since he arrived in 2015.
Erik ten Hag has backed Martial to succeed under his guidance and the forward must repay the manager’s faith in the coming six months.
Fernandes and Martial have linked up smartly on the pitch several times previously. The latter likes to drop deep to collect the ball which pulls a defender with him.
Fernandes tries to make a run and exploit the space left vacant by the defender.
The ace midfielder was in great form at the World Cup, scoring two goals and providing three assists in four games.
Ten Hag will be hoping that his star man can continue to pull the strings similarly at Old Trafford.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony