Anthony Martial played an important role for Manchester United yesterday as they secured a dramatic late victory over West Ham United in the Premier League.
The France international has endured another tough season with the Red Devils. His playing time has been limited amid injuries and fierce competition for places.
Having revealed his desire to leave, Martial has been out of the squad or on the bench in recent weeks, but he got the chance to make an impact as an 82nd-minute substitute yesterday.
Right from the off, there was intent from the 26-year-old with his direct running. He completed 100 percent of his passes attempted, the last of which contributed to the winning goal.
The Frenchman delivered a key pass for Edinson Cavani on the counter-attack. Cavani just about stayed onside before putting the ball on the plate for Marcus Rashford to tap home in the 93rd minute.
Martial’s future has been a regular topic of speculation in recent weeks, and it has recently been reported that Juventus are pressing forward with a loan approach with an option to buy.
Amidst this, Rangnick kept Martial out of the picture, but he decided to play him against the Hammers as the Red Devils pushed for the victory with a 4-2-4 formation.
The 26-year-old made a key goal contribution in his short cameo but should have scored before that. He was put through on goal by Bruno Fernandes but produced a tame shot.
However, there were plenty of positive signs from his brief appearance. Martial showed that he is up for the challenge if he ends up staying beyond the winter transfer window.
Rangnick was delighted with his ‘vital role‘ in creating the goal but still hinted that he could head for the exit door. The German tactician highlighted that the forward still faces competition.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?