Manchester United forward Anthony Martial is a huge doubt for Sunday’s Premier League clash against Arsenal after missing Thursday’s full training session.
The Frenchman was recently ruled out of the 1-1 draw at Crystal Palace with a leg injury and following the game, manager Erik ten Hag said that he would need to be assessed.
There is still roughly 36 hours left before the trip to the Emirates Stadium, but Martial could miss out on the encounter, having not taken part in yesterday’s team training.
Ten Hag has two options to lead the attack
Martial has been struggling with his fitness throughout the campaign and this is his fourth separate injury. He is now doubtful to make the matchday squad on Sunday.
If the Frenchman is sidelined, Ten Hag has two potential options that he could deploy. Wout Weghorst could be tasked to lead the line, similar to the recent trip to Palace.
Weghorst did not make any goal contribution in midweek, but played a key part in Bruno Fernandes’ goal by distracting both of Palace’s centre-backs with his movement in the box.
If Ten Hag decides against starting the Dutchman, Rashford could play up front. The United graduate scored two wonderful goals on the counter-attack against Arsenal last time around.
The 25-year-old capitalised on the Gunners’ high backline with superb runs behind and will be hoping to replicate the showing when the teams meet in north London tomorrow.
United are currently eight points behind leaders Arsenal, who have a game in hand. The upcoming game is a must-win for them if they want to keep their slim title hopes alive.
The club will be aiming to do the double over the Gunners for the first time in five seasons.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest