Manchester United have the chance to register a fifth straight Premier League win when they face Manchester City on the road this afternoon.
The Red Devils have had a terrific turnaround to their campaign after losing their first two league games, and now have the opportunity to jump into the top four.
Ten Hag has the luxury of a fully-fit squad when it comes to the attacking department, and he may have some special plans in store to outclass Pep Guardiola’s side.
The Dutch tactician is most likely to stick with his preferred line-up this campaign but in our view, Ten Hag has the chance to unleash his secret weapon in Martial.
The £14.4 million-rated star had a superb pre-season tour with three goals, but unfortunately picked up a hamstring injury in the penultimate game against Atletico.
He made his comeback in fine fashion with a match-winning assist against Liverpool, but that came as a cost as he sustained an Achilles injury during his cameo.
Ten Hag has now confirmed that Martial has been training for a whole week with the team, and there does not appear a better time to select him in the first XI.
The 26-year-old has been terrific in recent Manchester derbies in the Premier League. He has a goal contribution (two goals and an assist) in three of his last four appearances.
All of those have come in winning situations. Ten Hag has shown that he is prepared to adapt to his players’ strengths which is to play on the counter-attack.
Taking this into regard, Martial could lead the line with Marcus Rashford turning up on the left wing. This would probably mean Jadon Sancho being left out of the XI.
United can make a big statement today if they can end up on the winning side.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony
- Fresh injury concerns for Ten Hag as Varane, Fernandes & Maguire could miss Forest match
- Man Utd consider Antonio Silva as ideal candidate to strengthen their defence
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Man United players requested Sunday off after Fulham loss
- Incoming Man United CEO Omar Berrada already meeting senior executives while on gardening leave
- ‘He’s available’: Erik ten Hag confirms Casemiro is fit to face Nottingham Forest
- Simone Inzaghi on Manchester United radar as enquiries made over Italian manager
- Eric Ramsay leaves Manchester United to become Minnesota head coach
- Man Utd prepared to listen to offers for Antony, willing to cut their losses