Manchester United bounced back from their disappointing midweek Champions League defeat at FC Copenhagen with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Luton Town at Old Trafford yesterday.
The Red Devils were desperate to secure a win ahead of the international break amid reports that the job of manager Erik ten Hag was on the line.
TalkSPORT presenter Alan Brazil claimed ahead of the game that a loss to Luton could cost the Dutchman his job, and the players responded well, with Victor Lindelof grabbing the only goal of the game in the 59th minute.
It was the 29-year-old’s first UNnited goal in almost three years having not scored since December 2020, and it proved to be a crucial one.
Man United captain Bruno Fernandes and Lindelof’s international teammate and former Red Devils player Anthony Elanga both took to Instagram to react to his performance and goal, and it is safe to say they were impressed.
The defender had 117 touches and completed 102 passes out of the 108 he attempted, making three clearances, blocking a shot, making an interception and winning a tackle.
Lindelof also won three of his four aerial duels and 100% of his ground duels and was one of the best players on the pitch alongside Harry Maguire.
The attackers failed to impress, with Rasmus Hojlund, Marcus Rashford and Alejandro Garnacho guilty of squandering excellent goalscoring chances, but the Sweden international spared their blushes.
The aforementioned trio could learn a thing or two from Lindelof as his excellent finish following a loose ball in the box left the Hatters goalkeeper with no chance.
He opted to smash the ball into the roof of the net, and Man United would have scored at least three goals if they had clinical forwards on the pitch.
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions