Manchester United’s first-choice goalkeeper Andre Onana could miss up to six games due to his participation in the African Cup of Nations between January and February.
The Cameroonian star previously played for his national team at the 2022 World Cup. He was sent home after just one group game following differences with manager Rigobert Song.
Onana announced his international retirement in late December, but it appears that he could make a U-turn ahead of the crucial AFCON qualifier against Burundi next month.
According to Foot Azimuts, Onana should make his comeback to the national team in September following mediation by the Government of Cameroon.
Barring a last-minute incident, his name will appear in the upcoming squad.
United could be without Onana for key games in January & February
Cameroon are currently tied on four points with Burundi in their AFCON qualifying group. They host the East African nation on September 12, and a draw would be sufficient to make the tournament.
If Onana plays and helps them to qualify, it would directly impact the Red Devils. The 2023 AFCON is scheduled to take place between January 13 & February 11 in the Ivory Coast.
United have four Premier League matches in this period against Tottenham Hotspur, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Aston Villa. Onana could miss all four games if Cameroon reach the final.
The former Inter man could also miss the FA Cup fourth round tie (January 27) as well as the second leg of the Carabao Cup semi-final (w/c January 22) if United stay alive in both competitions.
In our view, Onana could be a big absence for United between the sticks. Altay Bayindir is currently close to joining the club, and he could have a busy period filling the void left by Onana.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling