Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana could miss seven games in January and February if Cameroon qualify for the African Cup of Nations.
The 27-year-old joined the Red Devils from Inter Milan earlier in the summer, and he has already started the first three games of the season, keeping one clean sheet.
Onana will continue between the sticks against Arsenal on Sunday, but he will then report for international duty after returning to the Cameroon squad.
The shot-stopper announced his retirement from the national side after a fall-out with manager Rigobert Song at the World Cup. He was sent home after one group game.
However, the duo have now sorted out their issues, and Onana is back in the squad for the final AFCON qualifier against Burundi in Garoua on September 12.
Cameroon and Burundi are locked on four points apiece in their group, but the former are second in the table on the head-to-head.
The west African giants need a win or a draw with four or more goals scored against Burundi to qualify for the tournament proper.
They should be favourites to progress with home advantage. This could have a direct impact on United next year as the AFCON is scheduled between January 11 and February 13.
If Cameroon qualify and go all the way to the final, Onana will miss the league games against Tottenham Hotspur, Wolverhampton Wanderers, West Ham United and Aston Villa.
The FA Cup third round tie between January 5-7 could be Onana’s final outing before AFCON duty.
If United remain active in all competitions, he could also miss the first and second legs of the Carabao Cup semi-final as well as the fourth round of the FA Cup (January 27).
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling