Ander Herrera explains why Man United performed so well in the second half
Ander Herrera has revealed what changed for Manchester United in the second-half against Manchester City in the EFL Cup.
Jose Mourinho’s side claimed a 1-0 victory over Pep Guardiola’s squad as Juan Mata found the only goal of the game at Old Trafford.
The Spaniard was pressing high to win the ball inside Man City’s box and opened up the chance for Mata in the second-half.
Speaking after the game, Herrera explained that Mata’s goal allowed players to remain calm.
“In the first-half it’s always tough as no one wants to lose and there’s tension,” he said.
“In the second-half we were more calm and with Mata scoring the goal it was easier, it’s for the fans and we lost the last derby they were disappointed but now they can be proud.”
Man United looked like a completely different team in the second-half as Luke Shaw came back, despite getting continuously ripped by Jesus Navas in the first-half, a new solid player.
Fans were left furious with Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s first 45 minutes and Jamie Carragher even labelled it as the big Swede’s worst half of his entire career, but he also came back and held the ball up incredibly well.
What clicked it all into place? A Mourinho prep talk perhaps? We’ll never know but whatever did happen seriously changed the outcome of the game as United were terrible throughout the first-half.
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Man Utd starters vs West Ham United
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele tempted by Man Utd move
- Will Jesse Lingard move to Newcastle or Tottenham this transfer window?
- Man Utd cool down interest in Denis Zakaria
- Man Utd may not approve Ralf Rangnick’s wish to sign Amadou Haidara
- Juventus in direct contact with Man Utd over Anthony Martial loan deal
- Man Utd receive Martial-Dembele swap proposal from Barcelona
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Brentford
- Ralf Rangnick provides injury update on three Man Utd stars