Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has sent a message to Marcus Rashford ahead of the Premier League meeting against Bournemouth at Old Trafford tomorrow.
The Red Devils returned to winning ways on Wednesday night with a 2-1 league win over Chelsea at home. Scott McTominay was the star of the match with a brace.
United could have easily won the game by four or more goals, but they were also fortuitous with Chelsea lacking the cutting edge in the final third. They squandered big chances too.
Speaking ahead of Saturday’s clash versus Bournemouth, Ten Hag spoke about Rashford’s form and highlighted that he must earn his spot like McTominay and Harry Maguire.
He told Manutd.com: “So Rashford is an incredible, good player.”
“You can’t do it with 11 players, he can’t play every game, he’s not in this moment in the form he was last year but I am sure he will get there.
“What I said about Scott McTominay and Harry Maguire: up to them. The team will always line themselves up and the best players who form the best team will play.”
Rashford will have to earn his place in the XI
For most of the current campaign, Ten Hag has been fully supportive of the England international. The manager preferred to stick with him in the starting line-up.
However, he finally made the decision to drop him to the bench against the Blues after an underwhelming display against Newcastle United on the road.
Rashford was not involved offensively or defensively versus the Magpies. This paved the way for Antony to start over him in Wednesday’s victory over the Blues.
Antony proved a point to Ten Hag with a gritty performance. He won eight ground and aerial duels and induced four fouls from the right wing role in midweek.
The Brazilian also won two tackles on the night. He should retain his place tomorrow and the onus is on Rashford to impress off the bench to reclaim the position.
In our view, Rashford is now competing with Antony for a starting spot with Alejandro Garnacho flourishing on the left wing with three goal contributions in the last four games.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Gleison Bremer shows why Man Utd want to sign him this summer
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow