It’s finally been reached. The worst kept secret of this years’ summer transfers has took a huge step to completion with MUTV exclusively revealing that the two clubs (United & Arsenal) have agreed that Robin van Persie will sign for United after a successful medical for a fee in the region of £22m.
A great signing and one that just clinched the title back in my opinion, it’ll be a great day when van Persie don’s the famous Manchester United shirt; plus you know he’s going to ship a ton of football equipment for United as well as high visibility for their sponsors (DHL would have kittens with the way RVP’s training photos were seen by millions of United (and Arsenal) fans around the world).
United now boast 5 recognised forwards in Wayne Rooney, Dimitar Berbatov, Danny Welbeck, Javier Hernandez and now van Persie.
Who should be the unhappiest to see the arrival of van Persie?
It certainly shouldn’t be Danny Welbeck in my opinion, Danny is the player whose attributes and playing style closest resembles that of van Persie. Welbeck will be rubbing his hands and itching to play with and against one the most elegant and technically gifted forwards to grace the game.
Van Persie plays off the shoulder, he fools defenders into zones they don’t want to be before springing in behind them. From there his touch and finishing rarely let him down. With a new five-year contract in his pocket, Welbeck could be the biggest beneficiary of what some are calling ‘poor business’ for United and by Sir Alex. Personally I think it’s the best piece of business he’s done for years, the atmosphere around Old Trafford before next weekends first home game of the season will no doubt be reminiscent of Seba Verons debut v Fulham all those years ago. Hopefully van Persie, with his years of Premier League experience already in hand, will fair far better and prove to be a shrewd capture in years to come.
- Erik ten Hag can finally unleash his best attack against Galatasaray tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hannibal Mejbri returns
- Why Man Utd should sign Antonio Silva instead of Jean-Clair Todibo
- David de Gea sends message to Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez as Argentine is ruled out for months
- Man Utd missing eight players for Galatasaray clash as Lisandro Martinez’s surgery is confirmed
- Boost for Man Utd with Hakim Ziyech missing from Galatasaray’s travelling squad
- Kobbie Mainoo returns to Manchester United training after picking up injury in pre-season
- Dermot Gallagher: Officials made right decision not to award Manchester United penalty against Crystal Palace after ball struck Joel Ward’s arm
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday