It is only a matter of time now before Alexis Sanchez is announced as a Manchester United player.
We have agreed a deal with Arsenal to exchange Henrikh Mkhitaryan for the Chilean star this month, with both players agreeing to the move and agreeing contracts with their respective clubs.
Sanchez was spotted heading to Carrington to undergo his medical over the weekend before a photo of him in a Manchester United kit was leaked on Sunday night.
The Daily Mail are now reporting that the 29-year-old has been spotted at an immigration office in Liverpool to get approval for his work permit.
Henrikh Mkhitaryan was also spotted arriving to the same building just moments later. This is the final piece that needs to fall into place for the transfer to be completed.
Provided this all goes smoothly as expected, the relevant paperwork is expected to be authorised today and then it’s only a matter of time before Manchester United and Arsenal make the official announcement.
As Alexis Sanchez did not feature in Arsenal’s 4-2 loss to Nottingham Forest earlier this month he will be eligible to make his debut for us this Friday at Yeovil Town in the fourth round of the competition.
The current squad were given two days off following our 1-0 win at Burnley on Saturday, meaning that the Chilean can first meet his new teammates when they return to training on Tuesday.
Sanchez is set to become the club’s best paid player, earning close to £600,000-a-week. This includes a basic wage of £350,000, £100,000 in image rights and a further £144,000 in bonuses.
The forward is in the final six months of his contract at Arsenal so manager Arsene Wenger agreed to an exchange deal for the player after conceding that the Chilean superstar wasn’t going to extend his deal beyond this season.
Over the summer the North London club had initially agreed to sell the player to Manchester City for £60 million but couldn’t find a suitable replacement in time on transfer deadline day. The Citizens then dropped their interest in the superstar earlier this month after failing to agree to Arsenal’s transfer demands.
In our opinion, this will be a fantastic coup by Ed Woodward and the Manchester United hierarchy. Alexis Sanchez has scored 60 goals in his 122 Premier League appearances for the Gunners, predominately playing down the wings.
He will be a great creative and goalscoring asset for us down the right wing if he plays there like we expect, where we currently only have Juan Mata capable of performing consistently down this flank. Though he has predominately been a left-sided player in his career it is unlikely that Jose Mourinho will want to move Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford away from this side after performing so well down there this season. Sanchez has proven to be a success down the right during his spells out there with Barcelona and Arsenal in the past.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd