Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed that Alex Telles will miss the first three matches of the Premier League season due to injury.
The defender is out until September, meaning he will miss the games against Leeds United, Southampton and Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Solskjaer had initially been more optimistic about the Brazilian’s injury, saying he would be “out for a few weeks.”
The Norwegian boss told the club’s official website: “Unfortunately, it’s worse news on Alex Telles than we hoped for.
“His ankle injury is a little bit more severe than we hoped, and he’ll be out for a little spell at least – the whole of August, I would think.”
Manchester United will host Leeds in their season opener before visiting Southampton and Wolves in their next two matches.
They are set to lock horns with Brentford on Wednesday for a pre-season friendly after their 4-2 loss against Queens Park Rangers.
Telles is a highly talented player who made 23 appearances across all competitions for United last season.
The Red Devils’ current number one choice left-back is Luke Shaw.
Solskjaer may have wanted to give him some rest as he played a key part for United last season and also made six appearances for England at the European Championships.
However, with Telles ruled out, that won’t be possible.
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final