Manchester United defeated Aston Villa 4-2 last night to move to the last 16 of the Carabao Cup.
Erik ten Hag rang a bunch of changes to his side, which was comprehensively beaten by Villa in the Premier League on Sunday.
Donny van de Beek and Harry Maguire failed to strengthen their case for a starting role, but Alejandro Garnacho’s dazzling cameo shows that Ten Hag has a lethal attacking weapon at his disposal.
The 18-year-old came off the bench after the hour mark, with the Red Devils trailing 2-1.
His introduction was like a breath of fresh air as he dominated the proceedings on the left flank.
He took on the defenders with supreme pace and dribbling skills, forcing them to back peddle.
The Argentine finished the game with 100% passing accuracy, two shots and two assists.
His first assist was easy, with Villa’s goalkeeper passing the ball straight to the teenager who maintained his composure and found Bruno Fernandes.
The Portuguese midfielder fired the ball back into the net to bring the score back to parity for the second time.
Garnacho continued his direct runs, which Villa found too hard to deal with.
He almost scored an astonishing goal when he collected the ball from his own half and ran past three opponents. A last-gasp block from Calum Chambers restricted the ball from going past the goalkeeper.
His best contribution came in injury time when his outrageous cross found Scott McTominay, who scored United’s fourth goal to confirm their progression in the tournament.
He played a delightful ball over the top of the Villa defence from the left touchline to pick out his teammate’s run.
The Red Devils will host Burnley in the next round of the Carabao Cup after the World Cup.
- Man Utd have excellent chance to sign West Ham star Declan Rice next summer
- Why Man Utd star should replace Spurs defender in Argentina starting XI
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ready for return after re-watching his 168 games in charge of Man Utd
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner