Manchester United have been handed a potential blow with Alejandro Garnacho eager to play for Argentina at the Under-20 World Cup, according to Damian Villagra.
The South American nation surprisingly did not qualify for the tournament earlier this year but they are now involved after FIFA granted them the hosting rights.
Garnacho is one of the leading stars in their Under-20 squad and it is now reported that he has chosen to represent his country at the tournament starting from May 20.
The United graduate has not played a competitive game for six weeks with an ankle injury but he is expected to make his comeback before the Under-20 World Cup.
Garnacho likely to miss FA Cup final on June 3
It was anticipated that Argentina would be named as the new hosts after Indonesia were suspended. FIFA formally confirmed the same in an announcement last week.
Javier Mascherano has now included Garnacho in his preliminary squad for the tournament and it appears the youngster has given the green light to play next month.
If Argentina manage to progress to the quarter-final, it is almost certain that Garnacho won’t be available for the FA Cup final against Manchester City on June 3.
The South American nation could be playing their last-eight game on either June 3 or June 4.
It will be interesting to see whether United can block his departure. If they try to do so, FIFA could still intervene and bar him from playing for the rest of the season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd