Manchester United winger Alejandro Garnacho has a big point to prove in the Carabao Cup third round tie against Crystal Palace tonight.
The Red Devils ended a three-match losing streak over the weekend with a gutsy 1-0 Premier League win over Burnley away from home.
Garnacho was an unused substitute. The youngster has now played just 20 minutes of normal time since the defeat at Tottenham Hotspur.
With manager Erik ten Hag likely to ring in the changes tonight, Garnacho should be one of the starters. He could replace Marcus Rashford on the left wing.
The Argentine had a fine breakthrough season with the Red Devils last term with six goals and six assists from 37 appearances in all competitions.
It was anticipated that he could step up to the next level this campaign, but he has had a frustrating start with limited minutes since the Spurs loss.
Garnacho has looked lively in his three cameos after the 80th minute, but he has not had sufficient time to make a goal contribution for the club.
He may finally get the chance against Palace in the Carabao Cup third round tie at Old Trafford.
The United graduate may not be an assured starter in the Premier League as of now, but he has the opportunity to win back the manager’s confidence.
An assured performance with a goal or an assist tonight could improve his chances of more playing time in the top-flight over the forthcoming weeks.
The €25 million-rated star is unlikely to replace Rashford when it comes to league games, but could urge Ten Hag to move the Englishman to the right flank to accommodate him on the left wing.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling