After spending the first three months of the season on the bench, Alejandro Garnacho has gone on to play in 14 of Manchester United’s last 15 Premier League games, scoring two goals with two assists.
The 18-year-old, who joined from Atletico Madrid in 2020, was promoted to United’s first-team last summer and should be on a wage that reflects his squad status, but little progress has been made on talks from last year.
Charlotte Duncker of The Times said in February that Garnacho was taking home £7k-per-week, and Ben Willcocks of Mail Online said recently that ‘talks have been in the works for nearly a year’.
However, United aren’t rushing to agree terms on a new deal and it remains to be seen when he’ll get his payrise.
The Argentina U20 international, who has netted four goals in as many caps for his country at youth level, looks to have a bright future, but he’s not without controversy.
Garnacho has reportedly been late for team meetings and has drawn the ire of his manager for a bad attitude on the training ground, but his ability isn’t in question.
It’s why he continues to play so much football at a young age, despite having competition from Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Anthony Elanga.
The 18-year-old’s existing deal at United runs until 2024 and there is a risk of him leaving for very little next year. Garnacho has previously said he’s happy in Manchester, so the hope is that he will commit if a good deal is put on the table.
If Brandon Williams and Tyrell Malacia are taking home between £65k-per-week and £75k-per-week, per Spotrac, Garnacho might be in line for a similar salary.
Stats from Transfermarkt
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m