Newcastle United legend Alan Shearer believes Manchester United need at least three big signings in order to compete again for the Premier League title.
United have experienced an average 2019/2020 league campaign and their main focus for the season remains on qualifying for next season’s Champions League.
Still, they will need more quality reinforcements during the summer and Shearer believes the club should seek to sign the English trio of Kane, Jadon Sancho and Jack Grealish.
“Whereas the majority will look to survive first before looking at transfer targets, Manchester United are in a different boat. To get anywhere near where they want to be then they need three, possibly four, big signings,” he wrote in The Sun.
“I understand the talk of Jadon Sancho, I understand the talk of Harry Kane and I certainly understand the talk of Jack Grealish. Those three are exactly the types they need if they are to compete at the top again.”
United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer recently said that the club are in a better financial situation and the ongoing crisis due to the coronavirus pandemic may not hamper their summer transfer business.
Still, the Norwegian may have to work on a limited transfer budget of around £150m and that won’t be sufficient to lure the above-mentioned trio to Old Trafford ahead of next season.
Sancho is definitely United’s top target for the next transfer window and it has been reported that they have finalised personal terms with the Borussia Dortmund attacker.
Elsewhere, Grealish does not appear on the club’s radar with David Ornstein recently stating that United may prioritise the recruitment of a holding midfielder ahead of the 24-year-old.
Kane, on the other hand, is not in the shortlist of targets for Solskjaer despite the recent speculation. Sky Sports’ James Cooper has claimed that United won’t change their transfer stance on the 26-year-old striker.
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns
- Fabrizio Romano: Manchester United preparing to sign a new centre-back in 2024
- Man Utd interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in January
- Erik ten Hag confirms double boost for Crystal Palace clash but defensive duo injured
- Manchester United announce Antony’s comeback amid physical assault allegations