Saudi Pro League giants Al-Nassr are prepared to hand Manchester United star Raphael Varane with a mega £50 million per year contract to reunite with Cristiano Ronaldo this summer, according to Daily Star.
Varane has been in-and-out of the starting line-up under manager Erik ten Hag this term. Earlier this campaign, he was dropped in favour of Harry Maguire for the right centre-back role.
Maguire’s injury allowed Varane to reclaim his position, but we recently saw him back on the bench against West Ham United. Maguire and Lisandro Martinez lined up together in central defence.
Martinez’s unfortunate injury opens the door for Varane to start again, but we won’t be surprised if Ten Hag chooses to play Maguire and Victor Lindelof in the upcoming game at Aston Villa.
Amidst this, Daily Star claim that Al-Nassr want to reunite the defender with his former Real Madrid and United teammate Ronaldo and are prepared to hand him up to £50 million per campaign.
Varane, who is currently the highest-paid player for United at £340,000-a-week, is free to discuss a pre-contract with a foreign club as his current deal expires at the end of June this year.
United have decided against triggering a 12-month extension clause in his contract. As things stand, there have been no talks over a possible new deal with a significant salary cut.
Daily Star report that he is ‘expected’ to leave when the season concludes. It won’t come as a surprise if he makes the big-money switch to the Middle East with Al-Nassr.
A move to Al-Nassr could also see him reunite with former United teammate Alex Telles, who only joined the club last summer after falling out-of-favour under Ten Hag.
The next few months could decide what happens with the future of Varane. United could be tempted to discuss a new deal with him if he can stay fit and help them in their top-four bid.
However, another injury absence could derail his chances of a renewal. The other big question is whether Varane would consider a 50 per cent pay-cut for example to continue at United.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract