Ajax are keen on signing Manchester United goalkeeper Dean Henderson on loan when the transfer window reopens next month, Manchester Evening News claims.
The England international has made just one competitive appearance for the Red Devils this season, with David de Gea in splendid form between the sticks.
Ahead of the New Year, Ajax are interested in landing the 24-year-old on a short-term loan deal with their chief executive and former United star Edwin van der Sar being an admirer.
The Dutch giants started the season without Andre Onana due to a doping ban.
Maarten Stekelenburg, who was the back-up option, picked up a season-ending hip injury in August.
They ended up recruiting Remko Pasveer from Vitesse. The 38-year-old has started 17 games for Ajax.
Onana is now available, but he is expected to leave them soon.
Henderson had a regular run of games between March and May, but he was snubbed for the Europa League final with De Gea getting the nod.
The latter received plenty of criticism from fans after failing to save any of the 11 penalties in the shoot-out defeat to Villarreal.
It appeared that Henderson could become the new number one this term, but his start to the season was disrupted by COVID-19.
He has since failed to displace De Gea, who has put in numerous stand-out displays and has single-handedly won points for the club.
The Spaniard has also saved a couple of penalties in the process, and the 31-year-old appears an undisputed starter in goal as of now.
Henderson is expected to get his chance when United entertain Young Boys in the final Champions League group stage game tomorrow.
However, it seems unlikely that De Gea will be dropped any time soon, and a loan deal could be ideal for Henderson at the turn of the year.
With the World Cup next winter, Henderson needs to be playing regularly at a high level to retain his place in the England squad.
With Onana expected to leave at the expiry of his contract next summer, Ajax could be eyeing a future long-term deal for Henderson.
United have no plans to sell Henderson at the moment, but they may have a big decision to make over his future at the end of the campaign.
They currently have an experienced shot-stopper in Tom Heaton as the third-choice keeper. It remains to be seen whether Henderson is loaned out.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Marko Arnautovic’s agent speaks out on potential Manchester United switch
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow with Fabian Ruiz set to join PSG
- Man Utd make opening bid for Marko Arnautovic
- Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion: Three talking points as Erik ten Hag suffers defeat in Premier League debut
- Player Ratings: Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion
- Harry Maguire insists that players will fight for the badge
- Erik ten Hag identifies Fabian Ruiz as the perfect Frenkie de Jong alternative for Manchester United
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Brighton – Three debutants, Ronaldo starts
- Opinion: Manchester United should forget Frenkie de Jong and sign these two unbelievable players for price of one
- Report: ‘Dazzling’ Benjamin Sesko knows Manchester United want him but PSG blow is last thing Erik ten Hag needs