Manchester United will need to improve their transfer offer to £51 million to sign Ajax defender Lisandro Martinez this summer, De Telegraaf’s Mike Verweij claims.
The Red Devils have been in constant dialogue with the Dutch champions for the 24-year-old, and it was recently suggested that their proposal of £42m could be accepted.
However, that does not appear the case. The reputed Verweij has revealed that the Red Devils’ latest offer of €45m + €5m (£38m + £4m) in add-ons has not been deemed good enough.
Martinez is obviously keen on making the move to Old Trafford this summer, but Ajax are now asking for €60m (£51m) to part ways with the services of the Argentina international.
Ajax seem to be taking advantage of United in Martinez pursuit
At the beginning of this month, it was suggested that Ajax would be willing to sanction the sale of Martinez if any club meets their asking price of around €50m (£42m).
However, the Eredivisie outfit seem to be changing their stance on a weekly basis. With a replacement yet to be pursued, they are now playing hardball in negotiations with United.
It is obviously known that manager Erik ten Hag would like to bring Martinez to Old Trafford. The Argentine’s strong defensive attributes were a key part of his success at Ajax.
Martinez would be a quality acquisition for the Red Devils, but it is now coming to a situation where the club could be compelled to overpay to persuade Ajax to sanction his exit.
The Dutch champions are in a strong position to keep hold of Martinez with three years left on his contract, and they are now trying to dictate his future in their own terms by upping the price.
United would not want to walk out of discussions for Martinez, who is Ten Hag’s priority target, but it is coming to a point where the hierarchy may start considering alternative options.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Opinion: Glazers’ £17 million Adrien Rabiot transfer disaster-class highlights everything wrong at Manchester United
- Manchester United offered a chance to sign Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pull out of Marko Arnautovic deal
- Man Utd register interest in Cody Gakpo, player keen on transfer
- Wes Brown impressed by Lisandro Martínez’s Manchester United debut
- Rio Ferdinand urges Man Utd to re-sign Danny Welbeck as back-up striker
- Manchester United now have great chance to sign ‘incredible’ Dan-Axel Zagadou for absolutely nothing
- Man Utd can sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic for £50m this summer
- Manchester United handed another transfer blow as Benjamin Sesko’s future is decided
- Man Utd identify Guido Rodriguez as alternative to Adrien Rabiot