Manchester United are in the summer transfer window for another central midfielder.
We have already landed Brazilian international Fred from Shakhtar Donetsk but are looking for a second in this role to replace the retiring Michael Carrick and outbound Marouane Fellaini.
The Belgian midfielder is set to leave on a free transfer when his contract at Old Trafford expires later this week.
A number of players have been linked with a move to us, with Lazio’s Sergej Milinkovic-Savic the most talked about in recent weeks.
However, Italian outlet Calcio Mercato are now reporting that the agent of Marco Verratti, Mino Raiola, has held talks with Manchester United over a possible summer move. The story comes after reports that the Paris Saint-Germain man has got off on the wrong foot with new manager Thomas Tuchel.
The 25-year-old has been linked with us in the past, but news of his falling out with Tuchel has also attracted the attention of fellow footballing giants Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus, among others.
Calcio Mercato believe that Juventus are ‘waiting’ and Manchester United ‘evaluating’ a possible deal for the Italian international.
Marco Verratti would be a great replacement for Carrick as he sees a lot of possession of the ball in front of the ball and moves it around nicely. He liked to run at defenders a couple of times per game too but rarely gets among the goals.
With Nemanja Matic, Fred and Paul Pogba expected our midfield three next season, there’s no doubt that Verratti would add some excellent competition in there, along with Ander Herrera already on our books.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup