Cristiano Ronaldo’s agent is said to have discussed the possibility of the Portuguese moving to Chelsea during a meeting with Blues owner Todd Boehly last week, The Athletic reports.
The 37-year-old made a stunning comeback to Old Trafford after 12 seasons last summer, and had a good homecoming season with 24 goals across all competitions.
Despite his efforts, the club finished a disappointing sixth in the Premier League with 58 points while failing to win silverware for the fifth-straight campaign.
As a result, there has been speculation over his future. While United have no plans of losing him, super-agent Jorge Mendes seems to be looking out for offers.
Ronaldo was recently offered to Bayern Munich, and it is now reported that Mendes met up with Blues owner Boehly, where the Portuguese’s future was discussed.
Ronaldo has not publicly revealed his desire to leave United, but he is said to be frustrated by the lack of transfer activity compared to some Premier League rivals.
United are expected to reinforce multiple positions this summer. A new striker was mentioned as a top priority earlier last month, but the plans seem to have changed.
After missing out on Darwin Nunez, it appears United are planning to pursue a right-winger instead with Ronaldo likely to lead the line next season. Ajax’s Antony has emerged as the top target.
The club still have not made a solitary signing this summer. They are making progress for Frenkie de Jong and Christian Eriksen, but have yet to reach a final agreement.
This may have added to the frustration of Ronaldo, who would have expected the club to add at least a couple of marquee players ahead of the pre-season campaign.
Ronaldo’s close bond with United may not see him join rivals Chelsea this summer, but it provides a warning that he could push for an exit if they fail to land big-name signings.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘He did magnificent’: Erik ten Hag praises Rasmus Hojlund’s impact in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag must start Aaron Wan-Bissaka to stop Man United’s old nemesis Wilfried Zaha
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hojlund returns
- ‘If they are good enough, they are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Manchester United’s route to finishing in the top four
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause