Serie A giants AC Milan are keen on signing Manchester United defender Eric Bailly on a short-term loan deal, Sky Sport Italy reports.
The centre-back has been with the Red Devils since 2016, but he has made just 113 appearances amid injuries and competition for places.
He committed to a new long-term contract in April last year but has struggled for regular playing time with the club.
It is now reported that the Rossoneri have their sights on a temporary deal for the Ivorian with Simon Kjaer suffering a long-term injury.
The 27-year-old is ‘looking for space’ and would ‘gladly accept’ the eventual call from the Milan outfit if a deal materialises between the clubs.
Bailly is currently the fourth-choice centre-back at United with Raphael Varane, Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof preferred ahead of him.
He could drop further down the pecking order with Phil Jones producing a stand-out display against Wolverhampton Wanderers last week.
His playing time may not improve any time soon. The defender could be a regular on the bench for the rest of the campaign.
This could be a reason behind his desire to join Milan, but a deal appears complicated with him currently at the African Cup of Nations.
Meanwhile, interim head coach Ralf Rangnick may also block his departure, particularly with the risk of contracting coronavirus.
The club recently had an extended two-week break amid a Covid-19 outbreak within the squad. Lindelof tested positive shortly after.
With no assurances over player availability nowadays, it appears unlikely that Bailly would be permitted to secure a mid-season loan.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Anthony Martial plays key role in Man Utd’s late win vs West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick reacts to Marcus Rashford’s dramatic winner against West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Man Utd starters vs West Ham United
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele tempted by Man Utd move
- Will Jesse Lingard move to Newcastle or Tottenham this transfer window?
- Man Utd cool down interest in Denis Zakaria
- Man Utd may not approve Ralf Rangnick’s wish to sign Amadou Haidara
- Juventus in direct contact with Man Utd over Anthony Martial loan deal
- Man Utd receive Martial-Dembele swap proposal from Barcelona