Serie A giants AC Milan are keen on signing Manchester United defender Eric Bailly on a short-term loan deal, Sky Sport Italy reports.
The centre-back has been with the Red Devils since 2016, but he has made just 113 appearances amid injuries and competition for places.
He committed to a new long-term contract in April last year but has struggled for regular playing time with the club.
It is now reported that the Rossoneri have their sights on a temporary deal for the Ivorian with Simon Kjaer suffering a long-term injury.
The 27-year-old is ‘looking for space’ and would ‘gladly accept’ the eventual call from the Milan outfit if a deal materialises between the clubs.
Bailly is currently the fourth-choice centre-back at United with Raphael Varane, Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof preferred ahead of him.
He could drop further down the pecking order with Phil Jones producing a stand-out display against Wolverhampton Wanderers last week.
His playing time may not improve any time soon. The defender could be a regular on the bench for the rest of the campaign.
This could be a reason behind his desire to join Milan, but a deal appears complicated with him currently at the African Cup of Nations.
Meanwhile, interim head coach Ralf Rangnick may also block his departure, particularly with the risk of contracting coronavirus.
The club recently had an extended two-week break amid a Covid-19 outbreak within the squad. Lindelof tested positive shortly after.
With no assurances over player availability nowadays, it appears unlikely that Bailly would be permitted to secure a mid-season loan.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?
- What can Man Utd fans expect from Erik ten Hag?
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres