AC Milan chief Paolo Maldini has broken his silence on Manchester United transfer target Ismael Bennacer.
The Milan technical director has spoken exclusively to Sport Mediaset in Italy about the 25-year-old’s future with the Serie A giants at the San Siro.
And it’s bad news for United boss Erik Ten Hag, with Maldini suggesting that Bennacer will pen a new deal with Milan, possibly within the next 36 hours. The Milan supremo said:
“For Bennacer it is the decisive week for a new contract, I think it will all be official in the next 24-36 hours.”
That’s clearly a big blow for United. Bennacer is a top-class central midfielder and would have been a superb addition to Ten Hag’s ranks at Old Trafford.
Manchester United dealt Ismael Bennacer blow
Ten Hag wanted to sign the French-born Algeria international midfielder from Milan, according to Calcio Mercato. And he undoubtedly would have been a tremendous addition to the Dutchman’s ranks at Old Trafford.
Sempre Milan have described the midfielder as a ‘sensational’ player. The former Arsenal man is a tough-tackling defensive midfielder who plays with similar traits to Casemiro.
Bennacer would have been the ideal long-term successor to the Brazilian, but United will now have to look elsewhere as he is set to pen a new deal with Milan.
Milan Reports claimed that the ex-Gunner has a €50 million release clause inserted into his current contract with the Italian giants. Whether that increases or decreases when he signs the proposed new deal remains to be seen.
What is certain is that United will not be signing Bennacer any time soon, which is a real shame for Ten Hag.
- Man Utd have received 10 loan proposals for Anthony Elanga ahead of transfer deadline
- Victor Lindelof emerges as Inter Milan transfer target to replace outgoing star
- Crystal Palace will wait until summer to sign Man Utd defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Man United boss insists there is still room for improvement from Antony after Reading display
- Erik ten Hag confirms ankle injury blow for Christian Eriksen after Reading win
- Casemiro excellent for Man Utd in 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading
- Harry Maguire sends a tough message to Erik ten Hag over the lack of game-time
- Manchester United 3-1 Reading: Three talking points as Casemiro electrifies Old Trafford crowd
- Man Utd tried to sign Milan Skriniar, he is holding out for PSG transfer
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities