Manchester United could sign Bayern Munich midfielder Marcel Sabitzer on a permanent deal this summer, according to Florian Plettenberg.
The Austrian signed for the Red Devils on loan before the January transfer deadline and he has already made six appearances across all competitions.
Sabitzer has grown in confidence with every game at United and Plettenberg claims that it is ‘absolutely possible’ that he could join the club permanently.
Bayern are likely to sanction Sabitzer’s departure this summer. The club have a verbal agreement to sign Konrad Laimer on a free transfer as his replacement.
United could secure cut-price deal for Sabitzer
Sabitzer was recruited by the Red Devils after the long-term injury sustained by Christian Eriksen.
The Austrian has provided good cover from the number eight role, but he has yet to make any goal contribution for United in his six appearances.
Despite this, it has been reported that the club’s hierarchy are impressed with his ‘physicality’. The final decision could depend on manager Erik ten Hag.
The Dutchman has his sights on landing a young midfielder in the next transfer window. It has been reported that he is still keen on Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong.
If Ten Hag succeeds in signing De Jong as well as Sabitzer, there could be a midfielder leaving from the current squad. Scott McTominay seems the likely candidate.
Sabitzer, who was described as ‘amazing‘ by Luke Shaw, could be signed for €20 million.
United could easily recoup the fee from the sale of McTominay. The Scot has been on the radar of Newcastle United and they are likely to make a move for him.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups